The Cremona and Water Valley district includes a large area in Mountain View County within the vicinity of the two centers.
The Village of Cremona Website: http://www.cremona.ca/
The Water Valley Community Association website: https://www.ilovewatervalley.com/
Cremona History taken from our history book The Chinook Wind Still Blows
In 1906, Mr. and Mrs. Smith Jackson came to Canada from the United States and opened a store and post office. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson applied to head office in Calgary to have their post office named “Honley” after Mr. Jackson’s home in England. It was feared this name would be confused with Hanley, Saskatchewan. A good friend of theirs, Mrs. Caroline Reid suggested to name it “Cremona”. She had been reading a book at the time on the Stradivarius Violins made in the Italian village of Cremona. This name was approved and the new Post Office and store became Cremona. When the railway track was built to Cremona in the 1930’s, a new Village of Cremona grew at its present location. Then, with the changing times, the train - once used to transport grain grown in the area to markets, was replaced by trucks, and the aging tracks were removed in 1979.
Cremona was incorporated into a Village on January 1, 1955, with a population of approximately 190 people. The Village of Cremona is governed by a council of three as well as one administrative head.
A strong community spirit abounds in the Cremona area, which has been clearly indicated by the many volunteers who have helped build our community hall, ice arena, curling rink, and the Gold and Silver building. Cremona’s strongest assets are its friendly people, beautiful countryside and small village charm.